From:
"Charlene M Lowe (Charlene Lowe)" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 5 Dec 1995 12:23:08 -0600
Some info I received on Mpls ferret status responding to "RE: Mpls not FFZ"
from prior FML. I have permission to post excerpts of it. Mainly it is
intact only a little taken out.

>The reason animal control will tell you this crap is because either a).
>They really don't know any better and have been told this for so long they
>think it is true.  or  b).  because people will believe it when a person of
>authority tells them something.  If people voluntarilly surrender or remove
>their animals from the city when they are told to it is an easy way for the
>city to accomplish it's goal.

>If you ask any public health or animal control officer in MPLS they will
>tell you it is illegal to own a ferret in MPLS, (not true, it is illegal to
>own a wild animal), that if you are walking down the street with your pet
>ferret in a cage any police, public health, or animal control officer has
>the right to immediately sieze and destroy the animal (not true, ferret
>owners have the basic right to due process of law as everyone else), and
>that if your ferret bites it must be killed and tested with no exceptions
>(not true, mpls city code 66.40 c states "any other animal which has bitten
>any person and caused an abrasion or puncture of the skin shall be siezed
>and impounded under the supervision of a licensed veterinarian or at the
>city contract kennel for a period of not less than ten (10) days.  If, after
>a complete examination by a veterinarian; the animal has no clinical sign of
>rabies, the animal may, with the approval of the commissioner of health, be
>released to the owner.)  Unfortuantely, you get people like former
>commissioner of health, Jerry Thelen who make statements like "I don't care
>what the law says this is our policy".  So it is up to Mpls residents to
>bear down and assert and demand their rights.

>As for the city classifying ferrets as wild animals, bull!  They can call a
>ferret a wild animal if they want.  They can call a refrigerator a
>helicopter too.  But they's never get it off the ground.  The courts have
>long realized that Man cannot make a law which contradicts natural fact.
>Mpls cannot make a law that says, as of Jan. 1 water will be rquired to run
>up hill and then actually expect to issue tickets to those whose water won't
>cooperate.  You cannot with the stroke of a pen make a wild animal out of a
>man-made breed which does not exist in the wild anywhere in the world.  I
>remember one case... [   snip   ] where the city wrote a ticket to a
>ferret owner for "illegal possesion of a wild or dangerous animal."
>When asked which way they were going to prosecute it, as a wild
>animal or a dangerous animal, they asked what difference it made.
>...It made a difference as to which 200 pages of data would be
>supplied to the defense.  They said they'd get back...  They never did.
>At the pre-trial they offered to drop the whole thing if the ferret owner
>would agree to not have any further "ferret-related" animal control
>violations.  As far as the ordinance being only a guideline: wrong an
> [...]

I know there are people from MN on the list and so thought this might
interest some...