From:
Dave Garvin <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
The Ferret Mailing List (FML)
Date:
Fri, 12 Aug 1994 08:52:10 +0930
Howdy All:

A quick comment on the post below:
>From: Anonymous Poster <[log in to unmask]>
>Subject: tail wagging

> This morning my one year old sable Molly was checking out her cardboard
>tube that she plays in as usual. But today she started to go in one end, and I
>put my hair drier at the other end for a couple of seconds. She started wagging
>her tail like mad. You could tell she was totally thrilled. Have you ever....

----It is our experience that tail wagging is not a sign of happy
excitement but rather of extreme agitation or fear.  In the several years
that we have had our ferrets, we have observed this only a few times, and
the ferrets were decidedly unhappy at the time.  Our thinking is that this
movement is a way for ferrets and other mustelids to more widely broadcast
scent from their scent glands.  Any other people out there have any input
on the topic?  Also, we do get a kick out of how the little guys do get a
charge out of being chased.  It is really reminiscent of some of the pranks
we used to play as kids just to be chased by adults.

Ciao - Dave and "The Girls"