From:
"Reed, Melinda" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 10 Dec 1997 11:40:15 -0500
I couldn't wait to get this news to the FML.  I work with a nuclear
pharmacist and he received some very interesting information today.  Because
he knows of my interests in ferrets, he showed this to me.

There is a new vaccine for rabies on the market called RabAvert TM, made by
Chiron.  It is indicated for humans.  The pamphlet reads: "Over the last 100
years, theepidemioogy of rabies in animals in the United States has changed
dramatically.  More than 90% of all animal rabies cases reported annually to
the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention now occur in wildlife,
whereas before 1960 the majority were in domestic animals.  The principal
hosts today are wild carnivores and bats. . . . . . . .Although rabies among
humans is rare in the United States, every year tens of thousands of people
receive rabies vaccine for post-exposure prophylaxis".

No where in this pamphlet does it mention ferrets.  It does mention "most
other carnivores", but never a ferret.

Maybe they can make this a mandatory vaccine and that way rabies will be
wiped out forever and we will not have to spend billions on battles to
legalize ferrets and we might not have another KODO incident.

If anyone would like additional information on this, let me know.

Mindy

Whiskers, Tiny, Cocoa and Tigger