From:
Pat Ball <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 5 Apr 1995 06:51:20 -0400
---------- Forwarded message ----------
Date: Tue, 4 Apr 1995 16:02:06 -0400
From: [log in to unmask]
To: [log in to unmask], [log in to unmask], [log in to unmask]
Subject: muzzle

I do understand where you are coming from.  I guess people will think they
would bite if we brought muzzles along.

BUT, considering the law, and to protect our fuzzies, I think coming up with
a good comfy muzzle is a necessity.

My ferrets NEVER EVER bite anyone unless they do something to them.  They do
it to protect themselves.  And yes, they do need to protect themselves but if
they do, they could get killed!!!!!

YES, we could give people their back to pet them, but I go to places where
hugging our fuzzies actually help people get happy and livelier.  For instance,
those therapy ferrets, who go into the nursing homes and hospitals to help
people out.  (there are few that exists.) You can't just offer people their
BUTTS to pet!!!  They want to see your ferret jump, wiggle, hug them, play with
them, and etc.  and have a good time.  ( I don't want to be worried the whole
time we are there to make sure every each one of them don't bite anyone!!!!)
and here comes the muzzle, just for their protection, like insurance.

I DO prefer NOT to muzzle my fuzzies if they were protected by law, like
dogs.  HEY ferrets have to get their annual needles too!!!  And since many of
us keep ours indoors and are not exposed to rabies, they shouldn't have the
right to kill the ferret to do unnecessary rabie tests.  But unfortunately,
we ferret owners cannot do anything.

You dont' have to use it, but I'd like to keep it handy just incase.
Right now, I do not know of any ferret muzzle that exists.  If there already
was one, I wouldn't be asking people for their ideas!!!!!

(You might need to bring it along to a vet hospitals too.  Choco, my ferret,
never  bites people, but when she got her shots, it scared her and
accidentally bit an assistant who was holding her.  THe girl bled a little,
and we were lucky that she liked ferrets, but NOT ALL the vet assistants are
ferret friendly.  There could be ones that doesn't like them but has to do it
just for part of their jobs.  )

I didnt mean to lecture : )

Tell us some of stories about your fuzzballs!!

FP

PS I believe it was Pet ball who had said that muzzle shouldn't be used to
prevent law suites or something.

*pps*   Also, as you can explain that you don't want them to touch the ferret
and explain the law and not let them touch them, OR explain why they have
muzzles on them because of the law, and let them touch the ferrets!!!  I
think it would be better way to PR ferrets to people.

I don't know.  May be i'm just over reacting or something...  I'd rather
prevent the law suite than fight a law suite that I know that there is no way
that we can win.  If it ends by me paying the fine or what ever, I dont care.
But your ferrets could actually be taken away from you and be killed for
test.....

ANd you can't be too careful : )  I'm very careful about who touches my
ferrets, and etc. but accidents do happen.