From:
"Michael F. Janke" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 18 Sep 1998 07:46:27 -0400
>Subject: Pedialyte Kills!!!!
>The person I have described interpreted her information to believe that
>pedialyte WAS a nutritional supplement and it never occurred to her to
>hand feed separately.  Since the weight loss was progressing through her
>veterinary treatments, and her vet never specifically told her to hand
>feed, she did not realize that she was in fact, starving her ferret

This really bothers me.  What was the vet doing this whole time?  Wasn't
there ever the question, "How much is the ferret eating?" when he/she saw
the consistent weight loss?  Seems to me the vet is primarily to blame if
he/she let this happen.  Still, I I still have to wonder how someone could
look at a bottle of Pedialyte and not think, "Gee, this stuff looks like
plain ol' water with some minerals in it.  Can't be very nutritious."
Particularly when it says right on the bottle that it is to prevent
dehydration, replaces lost fluids and minerals and nothing about it being a
nutritional supplement.

I do offer my sympathy for this person.  I'm sorry she had to learn this
lesson at the cost of the life of her ferret.

For the ferrets,
Mike

* Michael F. Janke, [log in to unmask]
* Secretary, South Florida Ferret Club & Rescue
* A 501(c)3 not-for-profit corporation
*
* Visit our web site:  http://www.miamiferret.org