From:
Lisa Mancilla <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 18 Nov 1998 12:04:40 EST
Hello everyone, hope this post is finding everyone healthy and happy in
ferret land.

My question is about our little Shiva Diva.  About 4 months ago, Shiva
became sluggish.  I started remembering back to the Miss Wiggles days and
realized the symptoms resembled those that Wiggles had.  I took Shiva in to
see the "family doctor" to have a have her blood sugar checked and the test
revield a count of 75.  For some strange reason, without telling Shiva she
was going to the doctor, she caught on to the fact that she was going in
and decided to fast that day prior to her appointment time.  I explained
this to the doctor and he said to bring her back in for a 3 month check.

Three months later back to the vet we go.  Shiva again was in a fasting
mood so before the appointment I hand fed her about 20 pieces of Totally
Ferret.  The test came back as 76.  I questioned the vet about what to do.
He said that he didn't want to put her on Pred until her blood sugar was
in the 60's.  He still considers the 70's to be normal but a low normal.
There is no evidence of tumors at this point.

My question to all of you is....beside giving her Totally Ferret, a little
Nutrical, Duck Soup and Turkey Baby Food, is there anything else that I can
do to suppliment her diet to get that blood sugar back up?  I would like to
see it at least 90.  I'm wondering if she should be on Timmy's Tonic and
Red Clover.  I haven't started the Baby Food suppliments yet.  All input is
appreciated.  I desire to keep her off of Pred for as long as I can.

Sincerely and with much love,
Lisa Mancilla