From:
Rebecca Stout <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 7 Jul 2002 17:53:22 EDT
Yes, Avecon now seems to have some people left very miffed.  But the Elisa
test of Avecons is fairly consistent with the older and more proven United
CEP test.  It was only the blood tests, and the use of blood in the POCT
tests of Avecons that had everyone in an uproar.  Options in testing are
United CEP, and of course you could always send blood samples to the U.
of Ga in addition.  I bet there are other tests that some labs do also
that I don't know of, and that are used.  Although all tests (in humans
alike) can throw false negatives and miss some cases, they are still
valuable tools as Danee stated.  The United test does not throw false
positives that I know of (if they do, its rare).  I don't think that
saliva sent to Avecon, has had false postives either actually (i have
seen documentation of only one that did have a false positive myself).
I'm not an expert though.  I'm just Wolfy, learning with the rest of you.
I realize that the Avecon thing is still very much up in the air for some
people and who knows what will happen there.

One testing problem should not sour you to not want to test, or at least
use other ADV tests.  I really can't say anything that Danee hasn't
already said.  I hope you keep communicating about this however, keep
your mind open, and research ADV and ADV testing more however.

Wolfy

Please visit:
http://www.geocities.com/wolfysluv/
for information on ferret deafness: