From:
Jennifer Hudson <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 17 Jun 2000 09:29:06 -0400
I am sending this to Ron directly and the FML.

First off, Ron, don't you dare discontinue participating with the FML
because of a handful of pain in the you know whats.  Trust me, I've been
on the receiving end of some of the people on this list, and regardless of
what you say or do, what proof you can offer, I hate to say, there are some
on this list who simply won't listen or have such an incredibly closed or
small mind, they simply cannot fathom another option to what they know.

To Ron and anyone else who goes to PetSmart or Petco for vaccines, thank
you for getting your fuzzies their shots!!!  Give the man the credit for
having the shots done, get your head out of your butts and realize he is
doing the right thing by vaccinating!  There are both Petco and Petsmart
stores in my general area (Willow Grove, PA) who vaccinate ferrets at their
clinics and use the same shots my vet does!  As with all ferret related
topics, it depends upon the individual store.  One local Petco is pretty
great about their ferret care, but another 15 minutes away is horrid.  Why
the difference, simply who runs the store.  The local store has a ferret
owner who manages the store, so the babies there receive better care and
more attention.

As for the possible reaction... how many times have we read the stories of
a ferret not reacting until after the person left the vets???  Regardless
of where you vaccinate, the possibility of needing to rush your ferret back
to a vet is the same.

And if we are going to start condemning people for vaccinating outside of
a vet's office, all the shelter operators better run for cover!!!  Does
everyone attacking Ron also believe that all shelters should take each and
every ferret into the vet's office for their shots??  Should they not be
allowed to self vaccinate?

The point here is that this man cares about his ferrets, he gets their
shots, they see the vet for checkups and medical problems, but for his
convenience and financial savings, he uses a clinic for shots.  Let's focus
on real problems, like all those ferret owners who chose not to vaccinate
at all (and not because of past reactions, either), let's go on the warpath
for them.

Ron - use the delete key in mass quantity!!!  But don't walk away, it's
more fun to stay and get their feathers all ruffled from time to time!!!

Hugs,

Jen and Gang