From:
"Bruce Williams, DVM" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 1 Dec 2000 23:12:24 -0500
Erin -

>(Sukie wrote) Erin, Bruce Williams has also had more experience with
>cardiomyopathy than >he'd like.  I think he's been through it three
>times, the same as we have.  We each have something written on the topic
>at http://www.miamiferret.org/fhc .

Indeed, I've had my fair share at my house.  But as there is a fair amount
already written on the topic (make sure to check the FML archives), let me
summarize for the list a few of the most important facts about CMP that
every ferret owner should know.

1. Cardiomyopathy is simply a weakening of the heart muscle due to loss
of functional muscle - the heart simply can't pump as much blood as it
used to.

2. It is likely a genetic problem in American ferrets, as the incidence of
this disease is far lower outside the U.S.  than inside.

3. There is no cure for cardiomyopathy - all we can do is slow the
progression of the disease.  This is why early detection and treatment
is so important.

4. Each case is an individual.  Disease severity, age at onset, and
response to medications vary for each individual.

5. One of the most important parts about treating CMP ferrets is to
minimize stress.  Even mild stress, such as an increased temperature in
the household may start a cascade of events in animals who appear to be
doing well on medication.

With kindest regards,
Bruce Williams, DVM