From:
"marie i. schatz" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 13 Feb 2000 08:49:20 -0500
Debbie - you asked why anyone would consider breeding with all the extra
ferrets stuffed into shelters.  On the one hand I see where your coming
from.  On the other - breeders are necessary to have somewhere else to get
ferrets besides a farm.  I actually go to rescue and probably always will.
But if they all quit breeding now and the farms all shut down (in my
wildest hopes:) there'd be no place to start from.  I was once asked by
an explorer scout I was speaking to about ferrets, why I would support
ferrets being legal as pets when there were so many cats and dogs being
killed everyday already.  Same sort of tough question.  Now I do believe
quite strongly that many many breeders out there have no business doing so.
And that a lot of people we would think of as responsible breeders breed
too much IMHO.

Deena - on your situation in Florida I would research all your laws, state,
county, township, city ordinances.  If none of those require being indoors
I would get with the shelter supervisor and ask if that was a specific
shelter policy.  If its not I would ask the director to reevaluate your
application.  You could also get a letter from your vet.  I'd be irritated
too but at the same time its a relief to see a shelter that tries to screen
a little vs. those that don't at all.

Mary in MI