From:
"Church, Robert Ray (UMC-Student)" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 8 Feb 2004 22:00:46 -0600
OCCULT BLOOD CARDS:

There are two basic types of occult blood cards; those that simply
check for the presence of hemoglobin (guaiac-based tests checking for
peroxidase activity, such as Hemoccult II and Hemoccult II Sensa) and
those that specifically check for human blood (immunoassay chemical-based
tests for human hemoglobin, such as HemeSelect).  If you use the
HemeSelect card, the ferret's stool can be tarry with blood, but because
the test looks for human immune markers, it will probably not test
positive.  Hemoccult II Sensa cards are considered by many medical
professionals to yield more false-positive results compared to
HemeSelect, and are more sensitive to animal-based bloods.  Hemoccult II
cards are the basic economy model stool guaiac cards, and some health
professionals shun then except as a cheap screening tool for humans, but
that makes them perfect for our purposes.  We WANT an occult blood card
that reacts to animal (ferret) blood, and one that is CHEAP.  In fact,
I use Hemoccult II cards; I have actually mixed small amounts of ferret
blood into negative-tested ferret poop, blind tested them, and it detects
the change.

Many vets do not use occult blood cards.  I've asked a few why not, and
most seem to have never considered it, which is strange to me considering
it is far more sensitive than the eye in detecting the presence of blood
in the stool.  I think that because ferrets are especially prone to
gastric ulcers, the use of occult blood cards would be a wonderful way to
check for gastric bleeding and MUCH more pleasant than dissecting poop.
Other aliments cause gastrointestinal bleeding, including esophageal
problems, polyps, gastrointestinal cancers, and ulcerative colitis, and
the cards are used in screening for those problems in humans -- there is
no reason why a similar screening process couldn't be done in ferrets.
One vet told me the cards MIGHT be useful in detecting intestinal damage
caused by ECE; the theory being blood tends to leak into the GI tract
after the outer surfaces of the intestinal wall have been damaged.  In
humans, occult blood is often present with intestinal obstructions, so
guaiac cards MAY be useful to help screen for that problem as well.

Even if YOUR vet cannot understand how the use of occult blood cards
holds promise in screening for specific problems in ferrets, you are
under no obligation to remain in the Stone Age with them.  The cards
are cheap (100 cards lasts a long time), a pharmacy can order them for
you or you can obtain them off the internet, and they are marvelous
for screening for blood in a ferret's poop.  I once lost a ferret to a
bleeding ulcer; although I visually inspect ferret poop daily as I empty
the latrines, I NEVER saw visually detectable blood.  One night I went
to bed knowing one of my rescued ferrets was a bit quirky like they were
getting sick, but generally doing ok, only to wake up the next morning
to find tarry stool and blood all over the floor, and a dead ferret in
the corner.  Now, I screen every stressed and sick ferret for gastric
bleeding and haven't lost one to the problem since.  I detect it, I
aggressively treat it, and I have occult blood cards to thank for most
of that success.  (3 emails)

Bob C