From:
Susan Malone <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 24 Sep 1999 04:20:36 +0000
Well Judith, I must say I am impressed and agree with you.  If you get
flamed for any of your comments, let them flame me as well.  I am not
in this to get rich by a long shot... however like you, a GREAT deal of
time, money, heartache and love has gone into getting good, healthier, top
quality bloodlines..  a fortune in special care, medical and nutritional
supplements and lot's of hand raising, pampering etc to help ensure I am
creating the very best possible, healthiest pets with good loving
personalities.

And like you, I get VERY frustrated when my adoption fee's are questioned
and even challenged.. the most common comments "I can get a ferret at the
pet store for $50 cheaper"... It makes me want to scream...

I am not meaning this as a "put down" or insult to pet store ferrets in
themselves, but come on folks, who's kidding who?  It's no secret that the
"mass suppliers" are not bringing in healthier lines or tracking every
ferrets bloodline and health history..  most of the time they don't even
track which jills bred to which hobs... and let's not even get into the
difference in the level of care, love and interaction a private breeder
gives.

I did a charting recently and figured out (as best I could) the average pet
store kit costs $25 to produce... the average kit I raise costs about $175.

I screen for the best homes, offer a 30 day "any reason" return, and a 1
year quarantee against genetic defects, pre-existing health problems etc...
My kits also come with a very large folder full of information and care
sheets, a "starter pack" of food, toys, supplies etc as well as coupons for
many ferret products.  My contracts also state that I am there to answer
questions, give references or help in any way for the LIFE of that ferret.

I have yet to see ANY pet store that offers even a fraction of that.  The
bottom line is, if someone only see's the "price" and can't see the
quality, then they wouldn't appreciate what they have anyways... as
operator of a rescue shelter as well, I see a VERY common thread between
the type of people who want the "cheapest" ferret and the ones who desert
them when they get sick, need surgery etc..  not to mention the level of
care the ferret will get... the old "why buy the *good* food when I can
feed cheap stuff" attitude.

Truth is, I have been known to lower a price or work with someone... but
only AFTER I see that they do understand and appreciate WHY my kits may
cost a little more.

I agree with Judith totally, that it is very frustrating the times I feel
like all I try to do is not worth anything... but there all also times I
feel totally validated and proud.

Judith... when I feel like that, what I remember is the people who want my
kits specifically BECAUSE of what they are and what they do..  and the
pride I feel when they call or write to tell me how wonderful their new
ferret is.  One of my ferrets who lives local belongs to a lady who bred
years ago and missed not having fuzzies... she often tells me that her
Timon is the best, prettiest, most intelligent, sweetest ferret she ever
had and how she is constantly mobbed by people wanting to know where she
got such a fantastic ferret.  THAT is what breeders like us strive to
create.

Susan Malone
Fanciful Ferrets By Pegasus
Ferrets Unlimited Rescue Of Tulsa