From:
Kevin Farlee <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 19 Jun 2009 23:08:20 -0700
I've heard that there have been confused stories going around, I'm
posting to clarify things.

Last Saturday, 6/13, the Washington Ferret Rescue & Shelter received 9
ferrets from Ed Lipinski's wife and daughter.

We understand that this represents all but one of the ferrets in the
house. They were surrendered to us, and we were told that Ed's health
is failing. He is going into the hospital for an operation (we weren't
told what), and that the family didn't know when he might be functional
and lucid again. Due to his failing health, he hasn't been able to care
for the ferrets as he normally would have.

We were told that they had been fed Purina One dry dog food.

All of the ferrets were given thorough vet examinations. The females
appeared to have been in heat for some time.

All of the females were given ultrasound exams to verify whether they
were pregnant or not (none were). In those exams, the rest of the
organs, including the heart appeared to be normal.

The ferrets were all intact with the exception of two Marshalls ferrets
in the group.

All ferrets were carefully examined, and given dental scaling, ear
cleaning, ivermectin for ear mites, and famotidine to help them not
develop ulcers from the stress.

I was personally present for all of the exams, and handled & helped
to treat them myself.

The ferrets had obviously not been handled or socialized, and they
would bite from fear. In the past when we've gotten ferrets from Ed's
ferretry, they've often been biters, but with loving handling, they
come around very quickly. These ferrets are already starting to relax
and come around.

These ferrets will be cared for, handled and loved, spayed/neutered
and descented, and when ready, we will place them in loving homes.

I hope this clarifies things.

Kevin Farlee
President,
Washington Ferret Rescue & Shelter