From:
Minta Ruark <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 22 Jul 1999 09:58:09 -0700
 .having lived with ferrets for years, and being tolerant of their various
escapades (even the ones that result in destruction of a plant or two), I
have had to pick up my fair share of ferret poop.  They are, for the most
part, accidents, and so I pick them up with that in mind; however, with
four ferrets, over the course of four years, it gets somewhat tiring to
do that sort of thing.  So i have always tried to "train" my ferrets,
supervise them to the point they are litter-trained, thus seriously
reducing these "accidents" (though they still happen).  I have, as a
result, one ferret who is 100% (the two of us bonded over the litter box
and the entire 1995 baseball playoffs), one ferret who I know, from
experience, takes at least 3 months of supervised playing before he "gets"
the litter box (every time I move, it's back to ground zero--he's now to
the point of getting the 1st and 2nd trip down, but the 3rd time he gets
confused, what can I say, he's missing a few sandwiches in his picnic), one
ferret who will use the litter box 75%, and one who after several years it
has become apparent he will never be above 50%, though he does get the
general area.  When supervised though I can "talk" him into the litter box.

Individual personalities?  Genetics?  MF, not MF?  I have used the same
tactics--trained 100% to cage litter boxes, then gradually expand room they
play in and free roaming time, and supervision level, with selective treats
(used to be treats all the time 'til Zooey would "pose" in the litter box
for a treat).  I don't know, though I have noticed that my girls
collectively are in the 80% and above hit rate, while the boys are closer
to 50%-75%.  They are 100% in the cage, though recently I had an episode
where someone was not cooperating--this was solved with strategically
placed blankies and boxes, and a litter box on each level (four level
cage).

Minta

(& Zooey...what can I say, I'm perfect.  that is when I'm not sleeping)
(Sybil...If you don't give me my socks back, I will poop in your bed!!!)
(Linus...hey now, it's not my fault you move every year!!)
(Martin...dum de dum, I guess maybe I ought to think about possibly going
to the bathroom...now where'd that litter box go?)