From:
Larry McFarlane <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 24 Jul 1998 07:58:31 -0500
Hi there.

Being fairly new, but quickly broken in ferret owners, I've been reading
about the vaccination problems.  Socks, our ferret, does not go outside.
We have 3 cats, but they never go out, either.

Not being real sure concerning the vets here in our town who specialize in
ferrets, can someone tell me---if none of our said "furry children" go
outside--is it necessary to have Socks vaccinated?  I know that people with
dogs can bring in diseases the dog is susceptible to just on their shoes,
so am wondering the same about Socks.

There is a vet here that handles ferrets and other "exotic" pets, so am
going to try to talk to them.  But if some of you could steer me to the
names of good/bad vaccines and how to handle the reactions, I could sound
more knowledgeable to the vet, instead of some kind of "oh, yeah, got a
ferret and don't know what to do" kind of person!

Also, can someone fill me in on ECE, or steer me to the article?

Concerning PetSmart: the one here in Lafayette, Indiana does not sell
animals, but they do hold "Pet fairs".  I have yet to see a ferret fair,
though.  I have found the employees to be quite knowledgeable.

For the person who worked in the grooming area of PetSmart: you should turn
them in.  I don't know what kind of animal shelter/welfare group you have,
but they'd be the first to go to.  That, and I'd write the head of the
corporation.  But I should tell you, its not only chain groomers that can
be abusive.  Independent groomers, groomers at vets, you name it, all can
be quite abusive towards animals.

As to people and attitudes towards ferrets:

Most people think they smell because if you walk by the pet store (at least
one here in town is this way), the ferrets are all clumped together, poo is
stacked high in the corner, and it makes you wonder when, if ever the babies
get cleaned.  PassPets will sell you a ferret starter kit and give you a
discount on your new ferret!  I don't know if they bother to tell anyone
how to take care of the fuzzy or not.  If they are no more knowledgeable
than what I've discovered (i.e. I'm the one who was looking for ear wash to
clean Socks' ears--they didn't carry it anymore, wasn't a good seller, and
they are the ones selling fuzzies!).

People buy ferrets just like they do other animals---at the moment they're
cute, but when they find there's work to them, wham, out the door they go.
Makes you wonder how they ever have kids and raise them.  I don't know that
there is any way to educate people on pet care.  Look at the person who
received the ferrets from the couple where the poo was so bad they couldn't
tell the color of the fuzzies!  I've seen cats so flea infested they were
miserable, dogs covered with ticks so bad they even had them in their
tongue, horses with manes so full of burrs I don't know how the poor things
stood it!  (No, not a vet---grew up around a dog groomer and worked in a
kennel, plus had horses of my own).

For the person who stepped on their ferret---I'm really sorry.  Maybe a
night light somewhere would help.  As we've discovered with Socks, we
believe fuzzies have all been struck by and are imbued with "greased
lightning".

For all whose fuzzies have crossed the bridge, may you find peace.  And
know they are all over there plotting to attack your toes when they see
you again.

Rebecca
Socks (hmmmm, lets see what I can get into next)
Chewie, Dribble, and Sarabi (where'd he go now?!)