Date:
Thu, 26 Oct 2000 16:56:08 -0500
Q: Ok, I really don't have a specific question I can quote because I have
been undulated with so many requests to discuss this issue, just pretend
someone specifically asked me to state an opinion of ferret shows.

A: Since when did *I* have an opinion?

I will really try to be as open minded and nonbiased as I can on this
issue, not just because there is more or less of a debate on it, but
because the question deserves such an answer.  Unlike most of my posts,
my answers here are not necessarily backed up with empirical data, which
places them in the realm of opinion.  Because many of my statements will
be opinions, some aspects of this post will be philosophical in nature
(which is why I explain the bad aspects but not the good ones).  I'll
start negative and end positive.

Bad Stuff:
1. "Championship" shows breed genetic faults and disease.  There can be NO
denying this; just go to a vet library and do a search for genetic disease.
Poor hearts, livers, kidneys, joints, hips, teeth, etc., etc., etc., ad
infinitum.  The problem is twofold really.  First, when a standard is set,
by human nature it becomes narrowly defined in order to find a range of
differences between champion animals.  This narrowing of criteria tends
to stimulate breeders to breed towards the standard; after all, they want
their share of massive stud fees and kit prices as well.  The trouble is,
once a defect is bred into a line, it is almost impossible to bred out and
still maintain the "breed." Who suffers?  Not the champions.
Unfortunately, their path is "littered" with rejects who suffer simply
because SOMEONE thought a nose should be wider, or a tail shorter.
Possible solution?  Require detailed and confirmed breeding records and
disqualify bloodlines exhibiting higher than normal defects UNLESS they
are neutered.

2. "Championship" shows mostly benefit those established breeders who
maintain the bloodlines best defined by the championship criteria.  There
is nothing worse than to define a "breed" which are best defined by your
own bloodlines; you have set yourself up for a) massive stud and kit fees,
and b) holding a monopoly on the breed characteristics so "a" remains true
for a long time.

It is easy to see if this happening in your shows: look when portion of the
club defines championship criteria, and who wins most often.  If the two
groups are the same, then you have a serious problem.
Possible solutions?  Don't allow breeders to define criteria and don't
allow judges to enter ferrets.

3. "Championship" shows are an epidemiologist's nightmare.  If you want a
place to spread disease, this is the place to do it.  All you need is
one really nasty strain of disease and all hell will break loose.  Is it
possible?  Remember ECE?  Dog and cat shows have LONG been a serious source
of infection and dissemination of new or nastier strains of diseases.  And
can you imagine if a mutant version of canine distemper showed up at a
large ferret show?  One which was resistant to the vaccination?  ADV will
be the next nightmare, but I doubt if it will be the worst.  Possible
solution?  Strict rules of contact and animal interaction, up-to-date
veterinary health certificates, vaccinations, spot health checks, gloved
judges.

4. "Championship" shows are great for increasing an owner's ego, but not
so good at information dissemination.  There are three basic types of
ferret get together:
a) championship shows, b) fun events, and c) educational events.

Most ferret clubs or organizations have too few people to perform all
three types, so either all suffer, or one or more areas suffer.  There just
aren't enough people, money, time or ferrets to do things right, and as a
result, something has to give.  Unfortunately, it may be the volunteers.
Possible solution?  Put off championship shows until AFTER your volunteer
base can handle the work, stress and costs associated with the event and
concentrate on fun and information to build your support base.

Good Stuff:
1. "Championship" shows are great in terms of catching the public's eye
and promoting interest.

2. "Championship" shows allow non-breeders to see the results and, through
discussion, they can learn better breeding techniques, improving all
bloodlines.

3. "Championship" shows can build a lot of self worth among ferret owners
IF political back stabbing is not allowed to pollute the pool.

4. "Championship" shows are fun; it is sort of nice to know you have the
cutest ferret around, and peer recognition is a positive incentive to do
things right.

There are probably hundreds more than this list; feel free to comment or
add to them.  As for me, I am against "Championship" shows simply because
I can see so many genetic problems in cats and dogs, and I hate to think
it will happen to ferrets.  And it will.

Bob C and 15 Mo' Church Champions