From:
Sheila Crompton <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 25 May 2001 07:47:23 +0100
tim fowler <[log in to unmask]> wrote
>1. ADV is not a huge problem in the UK, i have been to many shows, and
>   it is not even discussed here, let alone vaccinated against.

Try visiting Wessex and see what they think about ADV, you won't be
permitted to show a ferret down there unless it has a negative certificate.

Incidentally there is NO vaccine against ADV, so how can anyone vaccinate
against it!

>2. If you cut the toenails so they bled, you are far too incompetant to
>   be allowed to keep ferrets at all, never mind attempting basic care.

Perhaps it would have been better to suggest that she get someone to show
her how to cut toenails.  I've taken in ferrets who have had toe nails
that were so long the ferret couldn't walk properly, his nails could never
be cut to the correct length either because the quick was so far down the
nail.

OK Lisa, the method I use is the lay your ferret on his back on your lap,
put some Olive Oil or Ferretone on his belly.  When he's occupied licking
up the oil, hold his paw, check where the quick is (the main blood vessel -
it will show up pinker than the rest of the nail) and cut well below this
taking care not to trap of cut into it.  However, after your last attempt
he might not be too happy about you touching his nails again and you might
have to get a vet to do it.

>[Moderator's note: I guess most of us should just give 'em up?  BIG]

Umm could be........... how on earth would the shelters cope with the
sudden influx?

--
Sheila
Bolton Ferret Welfare & N.F.W.S. News Editor.