From:
Katherine Fritz <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
The Ferret Mailing List (FML)
Date:
Fri, 6 May 1994 09:44:44 -0400
> From: MBOLTON <[log in to unmask]>
> Subject: Hello from the Gang in NJ
> Date:   Thu, 5 May 1994 02:14:56 -0400

> Hello everyone, I've recently found out about (and had the time to write
> on) the FML.  I recieved my first issue and it is fantastic.  I am a '

I know what you mean -- you should have seen me when I first found the FML
over two years ago -- I got a whole slew of back issues at once, and
couldn't stop reading...

> go berserk.  With Riley...I got him at about 9 mo. to a yr., and I do not
> know any history, i.e. abuse, but the darn guy becomes downright viscious
> during a bath.  I was at the show in Feb. in Md, bathing them all the
> night before at the hotel, and he attacked my hand to get out of the tub
> so much that I probably could have used a stitch or two (and I'm no wuss).
> He's also bitten my old roomate, and my sister during baths.  The thing
> is he NEVER bites otherwise.  Any ideas?

Riley is going to need some extra care and attention to help him get over
this -- sounds like he is afraid of baths (maybe).  Talk to him
soothingly, take it as slowly as you can, even bathe him separately so you
can pay extra attention to him.  Praise him, even give him treats (bribes)
-- we have used Linatone as a reward for getting a bath (ours love
Linatone, if Riley doesn't care for it, substitute something else).  Have
you tried filling the tub with enough water that he can't touch bottom, so
he has to swim a bit?  Of course, you'll have to be careful about that --
it might help, or he might get more frantic.  One thing we've found is
that our ferrets are calmer if taken into the shower, maybe because one of
us is in there, too.  Hope some of this might help.

> From: [log in to unmask] (Nathan Herring)
> Date:   Thu, 5 May 1994 05:42:47 -0400
> Subject: WWW Ferret Home Page?

> I have a fuzzie (not furry yet; she's too young) and have been recently
> reading the FML. I don't know if this has come up, but I've been in the
> process of creating W3 Home Pages for several Dartmouth projects. There's
> space on the server, and if there isn't one already, I would be glad to start
> a Ferret Home Page. The question is: (1) Is there one? (2) If not, what would
> people like to see on it...
>
> Simple ideas would be to have any Usenet newsgroups posted, the FAQ
> available, the mailing address of this list, groups in various areas, etc.,
> etc. I'd also have to come up with some cute icons.

Nathan,

I'm not sure what you mean by a Ferret Home Page, and I'm not well versed
in WWW, but take a look at what Bill Gruber ([log in to unmask]) has in
the CUNY listserver archives (instructions at the top of every FML).  In
addition to back issues of the FML, the FML FAQ, and the Ferret FAQ, it
also has the STAR*Ferret Database (send GET FERRET DATABASE to
[log in to unmask]), which is LOADED with ferret contacts, clubs,
vets, shelters, etc.

Could you tell us a little more about this project, for those of us who
don't know?

> From: Pamela Greene <[log in to unmask]>
> Subject: Re: shoulder training
> Date:   Thu, 5 May 1994 10:17:32 -0400

> [...]
> To train your ferret to stay on your shoulders, for instance, stand
> over a pile or basket of crumpled newspaper, and when she falls into
> it, shout, "No!"  The combination of the fall, the noise, and your
> shout should persuade her to pay more attention to staying on.  Give
> her a treat when she does, and she should learn quickly.
>
> ------------------------------
>
> Good luck, and let me know how it works out!
>
> - Pam in Rochester, NY

Pam,

We used this technique (right out of the Morton "Ferrets" book), and it
worked wonderfully with 4 out of our 5.  (Pogo just doesn't get it.  I
think he thinks shoulder-riding is beneath him! :-)

Katie Fritz
CompuServe Small Mammals Section (S11) Co-Leader, Pets/Animals Forum
Internet: [log in to unmask]   CompuServe: 71257,3153