Date:
Wed, 21 Mar 2012 01:43:28 -0500
Most vets & emergency vets have a tranqulizer called Telazol on hand
for dogs & cats. 0.1cc administered IM in the booty will make your
little one blissfully unconscious in your arms, usually within a
minute. If the ferret is pretty far down when brought to the vet, this
may be enough to do the job. If not, the ferret will be so very deeply
asleep that it won`t matter what method is used to send your loved one
on its final journey. It`s like in surgery. The ferret is so deeply
asleep that it knows absolutely nothing.

It is difficult to find a vein when a ferret is down, or dehydrated,
and often the vet will have to "score" or slash across the vein with
a blade or a needle, to get the catheter in. It can be painful, and
depending on the skill of the vet, might require several attempts.

The shot of Telazol burns slightly, but just for a split second. (Some
don`t react at all.) Then your baby cuddles down quickly into a deep
sleep.

I would never permit a vet to take my ferret in the back room, away
from me -- and I would certainly NEVER allow a heart stick without
the ferret being completely unconscious.

They count on us to love & protect them. The word "euthanasia" means
"good death." We need to make it as smooth as possible for them.

My two cents worth.

Love,
Zoo