From:
Sukie Crandall <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 30 Jan 2002 18:14:14 -0500
>Hello-my 3 year old Chance had a nodule and less than 1/3 of his
>pancreas removed 1/17.  I had to page my vet today and bring Chance
>in...    tested his blood sugar and it was very high

Dear X:

Sorry that Chance is having some post-surgical trouble.  The hyperglycemia
that we see post-surgical is the result of prolonged high levels of
insulin.  Because the tumor is secreting so much insulin, the other cells
in the pancreas (the islets) atrophy, as their insulin is not needed.
When the source of insulin (the tumor) is removed, there is little insulin
available to keep the glucose down in the normal level.

In most cases, this is a transient finding.

I am not currently familiar with the use of glipizide in ferrets, and most
diabetic ferrets are put on insulin.

The manipulation and surgery on the pancreas can also cause local
inflammation (pancreatitis).  This can be a painful condition, and would
explain why he is not bouncing back.  It is generally not something that
can be directly treated, but the pain medication is a good thing to offer.
Most cases of pancreatitis subside within a few days.

With kindest regards,
Bruce Williams, DVM