From:
Troy Lynn Eckart <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 20 Mar 1998 12:49:06 -0600
Thanks to all who sent the donations.  Each dollar will help a ferret in
some way.  Thank you so very much.  It's been a sad few weeks and the caring
you show is very much appreciated.

Gizzzies Passing
Gizzie passed away sometime between 2:30-5 the other morning.  He was at
home and I cuddled and coddled him throughout the evening then around 8 he
became very lethargic.  He'd move a few steps then lay down.  I knew our
time was limited.  He seemed fine at 5 when I fed and medicated him,
although he didn't eat a lot.  I thought his tummy might be upset so I
didn't push it.  Between 8 and 10 I did all I could think to do - Karo
syrup, water, recipe, peach syrup, Noni juice (a tahitian fruit juice) and
more Pediapred.  He barely responded to anything.  He did go to the bathroom
and his stool was normal.  He was quite restless, laying motionless for a
time then trying to move, then laying still again.  I kept him with me till
about 2 a.m.  and then he indicated he wanted off the bed so I moved him to
his hammock where he seemed more content.  Then I rescued Coco Puffs from
Pumkin, put Pumkin in the cage and went back to bed.  At 5 Gizzie was gone.
He went peacefully it seems.

Gizzie and Willow I bought from a local pet store in August of 1992.  Willow
died in 1996 of liver growths that ruptured.  At 9 months, Gizzie came down
with some sort of diarrheal disease (chronic colitis, campylobactor or
whatever), and he lost 1/3 of his weight (from 3 to 2 lbs) and we almost
lost him.  Nothing, it seemed would stop the diarrhea.  No one else caught
whatever Gizzie had and I struggled to keep him going.  Gizzie came through
but not without teaching me how to apply aggressive supportive care (a
lesson that helped us through our severe ECE bout in 1996).  Gizzie was our
first boy adrenal and Larry performed an exploratory a month before the
adrenal surgery because at that time we did not know that prostate problems
can be related to adrenal.  Poor Gizzie was left incontinent due to
extensive bladder/urethra/prostate damage that occurred before surgery.  But
he was still with us and did well after recovering from surgery.  A few
months ago I noticed Gizzie was exhibiting adrenal symptoms again.  Larry
and I talked and decided to go with Lysodren.  Within 10 minutes after
administering the Lysodren, Gizzie had a moderately severe allergic
reaction.  I never gave Gizzie any more Lysodren.  Then a couple months ago
he exhibited Insulinoma symptoms.  Again, I talked with Larry and we put
Gizzie on Pediapred.  Then the weekend before last, Gizzie started having
low blood sugar spells daily.  We doubled his Pediapred and added Proglycem.
That was last Thursday.  Early this morning Gizzie left us.  I placed him
where the others would see him and know that he had left.  Gizzie was loved
by all, even the dogs.  Sunny is my 12 yr old lab/brit mix and is deaf.  He
loved Gizzie.  When I walked into the living room tears sprang to my eyes.
Sunny was looking down at Gizzie, his head lowered.  He did not hear me come
up behind him so I silently stood as tears trickled down my cheeks.  Sunny
turned, sensing that I was there, looked at me, bowed his head again looking
at Gizzie and then turned away.

Death is always hardest on those of us left behind.....

Death is one thing we cannot change.  Accepting it is difficult, but it must
be done.  Gizzie had a good life, he was loved and cared for by many.  He
taught me important lessons that have helped many ferrets.  I'll miss him,
but he is no longer uncomfortable or in pain.  Gizzie now rests in peace
with his maker.

Hugs to all. tle