From:
JudithMoon <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 19 Nov 1999 06:38:53 -0800
Hi!  Once again my mailbox is filled with questions about foods for
ferrets.  So here goes for my ideas on the subject......

First of all most (not all) commercial ferret foods are acceptable.  They
are acceptable if not quite perfect in their ingredients.  Because ferrets
are as individualistic as their people (or is it the other way around) some
ferrets won't touch some brands of ferret food.  Experiementation is the key
here.  Get small samples of different feeds and try them.  Different ferrets
like different things.

Here we have always fed Mazuri and have not had a problem.  When kits are
starting to eat solid food I usually give them a mix of several different
foods...8 in 1, Mazuri, Totally Ferret, ad infinitum.....!  This is so when
a baby is sent to a new home, they will not have imprinted on any one food.
This is done solely for the benefit of the new owner (just like our litter
pan training).
We are presently trying a new food  ... ZuPreem.  We will let you know in a
year or so what we like or don't like about it.  Also we have been
experimenting with raw foods (not live foods).  So far about 50% or my
ferrets will eat raw meat.  The rest range between interest to dropping it
in their litter boxes.  (Kind of a statement there!)  I really do not there
is any one "perfect" food.  So we are constantly evaluating and
experiementing to get the best possible.  Have fun and good luck
Judith
Moonsong Ferrets bred to be the perfect companion
http://moonsongferrets.virtualave.net