From:
Sukie Crandall <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 28 Mar 2006 16:22:44 -0500
>In the second edition of _Biology and Diseases of the Ferret_ you
>will find it on pages 47 and 48.
>
>Page 218 in _Biology and Diseases of the Ferret, 2nd edition_ but
>notice the mention that in Black Footed Ferrets and Siberian
>Polecats bone marrow depression had not been documented.
>
>Pages 137-139 in _Essentials of Ferrets, a Guide for Practioners_
>(the second edition, by Dr. Purcell)

The first text (pages 47 and 48) should have read _Ferrets, Rabbits and
Rodents, 2nd Edition_.  Sorry.  Mea culpa!

Apologies, too, Bill, I hope that post makes it.  I accidently used
the other addy.  (If it doesn't make it the corrected rate for
estrogen toxicity and anemia can be found in:
http://ferrethealth.org/archive/browse.php?msg=SG3097 )
---

Okay, in terms of saying thank you, I tend to believe that it should
always be done (and it sure increases volunteerism and donations when
people feel appreciated), but donors can make it easier by including
their e-mail addresses with gifts, as a second gift to those whose time
is in such short supply.  Shelters can keep form replies handy, then
there isn't even any need to write when the schedule is totally out of
hand, and when it isn't a little note can be added.

I have noticed some strange perceptions about others through the years
which go beyond the thank you one.

Some people tend to assume that when there is an intellectual
disagreement that everyone on each side hates everyone on the other side.
Not so.  It is not in the least unusual for there to also be off-list
communications going on among friends (who happen to disagree on the
topic at hand) with each appalled at the behavior of some people on the
same side and some on the other side.  Actually, that sort of off-list
communication, and sometimes apologies for the behaviors of others happen
very, very often.  They really go a long way to lighten the mood! :-)

Some people tend to assume that anyone who devotes a lot of time to
helping others and who does not avoid insults by being anonymous (when
actually piggy back addresses and people's own names could be used
instead of anonymity) must also be willing to be treated like a doormat.
Why?  It's kind of an unrealistic concept.  Okay, it one heck of an
unrealistic concept.  Those of us who use our names and addresses don't
like being stomped on any more than those who avoid it by being more
secretive.  Sometimes those of us who have been targeted just ignore it,
but sometimes we have had quite enough, thank you, especially if things
go on too long, or are also occurring off-list or if the person has a
long history of "unpleasantness" toward the target, the target's friends,
or others the target respects.  We are all only human here.

Some people assume that those who already do a lot, whether it is
running shelters, getting information out there, creating symposia, etc.
always should be the ones to take on any suggested tasks.  Again, why?
Know that a LOT of such people these are individuals who use their
private time to give to others because (and this should not surprise
when one remembers that giving people often attract others and hold
their relationships long term) the individuals often already usually
have spouses or other close family and SOs, friends, other community,
and responsibilities at work, education, and home.  So, people who give
tend to already have full lives and donate some of their own private
time to helping others.

Some people assume that every question has an easy answer.  Not so.  A
very many aspects of ferret health, genetics, and husbandry are areas
where more is constantly being learned, so there will be disagreement,
which is easily done not singling out people by name for personal
attacks, but instead sticking to the topic, giving references when
available and when time allows, or mentioning where to find the info,
etc.  So, discussion of a topic fully, from each side, is a way for all
to learn and to help all.

-- Sukie (not a vet, and not speaking for any of the below in my
private posts)

Recommended health resources to help ferrets and the people who love
them:
Ferret Health List
FHL Archives
http://ferrethealth.org/archive/
AFIP Ferret Pathology
http://www.afip.org/ferrets/index.html
Miamiferrets
http://www.miamiferret.org/fhc/
International Ferret Congress Critical References
http://www.ferretcongress.org