From:
Date:
Wed, 12 Mar 1997 08:11:20 -0800
>From:    Edward Lipinski <[log in to unmask]>
>Subject: THE MINK, Mustela vison
>Need to know procedure for cross breeding mink and ferret, when mink goes
>estral.  Has such been done before successfully?   If successful, what is
>taxonomic identity given to crossbreed . . . Mustela putorius vison?  Common
>name. . . .Ferrink. . .Minerret?  Fink is unacceptable!

How about "imaginary".  They can't cross.  Mink do NOT make good pets.  If
this is a wild mink release it.  If this is a ranch mink - find a ranch.
Really it is in yours and the minks best interest not to keep her.

>From:    Kim Hastings <[log in to unmask]>
>Subject: The heck with TV -- try the big screen!
>1.  Are unaltered males normally housed together?

No they tend to fight - evidence is scabs.  Just like boys in a bar.
Fighting fighting fighting.  Silly male gender.

>2.  Is it normal to leave a female to be bred in a cage with a male for two
>weeks straight, or should she, as one person wrote to me, be allowed a rest
>period after each coupling?  Are the scabs on her neck normal?

Females should only have a few days with a male.  Rebreeding ONLY if the
mating did not take.  Evidence of not taking is vulva swelling not going
down.  No need for rest periods.  Scabs are not uncommon but not usually
very serious looking.

>Is it possible that there really is a connection here?

Coincidence.  CDV does not normally pass thru wounds but is airborne.

>From:    adp <[log in to unmask]>
>Subject: Searching for the Perfect Ferret

Pretty well covered on the Ferret-fourm....  But let me get you in touch
with a breeder IN massachusetts...  Send private email.

bill and diane killian
zen and the art of ferrets
http://www.zenferret.com/
mailto:[log in to unmask]