From:
Al Wiebe <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 7 Nov 1999 10:04:08 EST
You might recall the recent loss of our Derek.  His lifelong cagemate,
Layla, though apparently getting along OK alone, shows signs of missing
Derek, especially since she has no one to curl up with for the night.

We're thinking of adopting from a shelter a replacement for Derek but
we've been told that replacing a four year old ferret (Layla is also four)
isn't wise?  Can anyone tell us why this is so?  Are there reasons not
to do so?  What are the potential problems if we were to find a good
replacement?  Can a suddenly "widowed" Layla exist OK alone?

What about adding a younger cagemate, of either sex?  Problems?

Everyone on the FML has been wonderful sources of help so far and we're
hoping you will have some comments regarding this query.

Al Wiebe