From:
"Long, Katharine" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 13 Nov 2000 08:22:31 -0500
[log in to unmask] wrote:
>Someone wrote that the names of veterinarians who had done some pretty
>awful things or did not scrub their hands or disinfect the tables properly
>and the locations of their offices be shared on-line on the FML.  I would
>not do that if I were you.  People who have written to me quit offices
>because of some serious problems.  Many of us need to put food on the
>table.  We need job references.<

What is the point in going on and on and on about "bad" vets if you're not
going to identify them???  If not for the purpose of letting us know what
vets NOT to go to, what is your reasoning?????

>I know what I have had happen to me with one vet.  I left four of my
>ferrets with a vet who was supposed to be very familiar with ferrets so I
>could go on vacation for a week.
>
>I called every single day.  I was told they were all fine.  I came home to
>find them with bones showing: one had been shaved all over with multiple
>small cuts all over.  Baby was limp.  Once out of the carrier, she
>stumbled, and lay to urinate a pool of urine and blood.  All were coughing
>and had diarrhea.  I brought them to another office the next morning
>believing they would have to be euthanized.  That is how bad the situation
>was.

You reported this to Norm and Mary of GCFA?  What in the world could they
do about it?  Or, are they who recommended this vet to you?  You're the
one who has witnessed this!  Why didn't you report this to your state
veterinary board?  Why didn't you call the police or sheriff's office
before you even left the vets' office?  This seems very documentable to me.
Did you take pictures?  Didn't you have witnesses who could attest to the
health of your ferrets prior to your boarding them?  If what you say is
correct (and not exaggerated), it is out and out animal abuse.  I would
have run, not walked, to local law enforcement (yes, law enforcement is
trained to deal with animal abuse cases) as well as to the vet board.
Reporting it to a ferret organization doesn't make a bit of sense to me.
You might let them know after things calm down but they certainly shouldn't
be the first course of action.

Lisette, it seems that your life and your ferrets lives are filled with too
much drama.  Vets who abuse your animals when they are boarded, and vets
(I would assume a different one) who don't wash their hands or take proper
precautions to stop the spread of disease.  I think I would consider
getting out of the animal business if that's all I had to choose from.

Katharine