From:
Brian McGovern <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 16 Mar 1998 10:53:11 -0500
Bob,
I just read your article in the FML about the New Zealand ferrets, and the
arguement about feral ferrets.

Although I agree with most of what you said, there were two differences
between NZ, and a US case that you overlooked.  Firstly, the ferrets in NZ
were released intact, allowing them to breed.  Discussions on genetic
adaptation are moot if you don't have this.  Secondly was the quantity
released.  Unless you want a family twig, there would have to be sufficient
mature breeding pairs to keep the numbers up.

The real difference between NZ and the US is the lack of these two items.
As most of the animals are fixed when young, and the quantity owned by a
typical family in a domestic setting is about four, the chances of events
leading to a sufficient number of breeding pairs to establish and maintain a
feral colony are so close to zero, you might as well worry more about the
human influence.  And, should there be smaller escapes of domestic animals,
yes, they may be predators for a time, but within a generation (say, 10
years for arguement), they will die.

About the only case that I could imagine that would resolve these two issues
would be the release of a domestic breeding colony.  And, while I'm no
biologist, I'd say the minimum flash point for a viable colony would have
to be at least 3 breeding pairs, preferably with as much genetic diversity
packed in to them as possible.  Even in this minimal case, I'd expect the
establishment of a long term colony to eventually fail.  The American
Blackfooted Ferret project is a perfect example of how animals that aren't
adapted to their surroundings fare when released in to the wild.

The big contention that I have with California and others is the "onion"
effect they try to throw up.  Once you peel off these arguements, there are
simply more concerns they have.  In a recent discussion, the person I was
talking with tried hiding behind the arguement that CA would have problems
enforcing a neuter/spay law.  After my eyes stopped spinning in my head, I
asked her what type of inept people couldn't handle what 48 other states
were managing to do just fine, and, quite frankly, with little or no help
from the state government short of establishing the law.  Of course, at that
point, I had hit the center of the onion.  She refused to comment.  Funny
thing about onions.  After you peel all the layers off, theres nothing
left...

In any event, however, you're right.  Ferret people shouldn't try to hide
facts.  As a matter of fact, the CA Sierra Club quoted a feral colony had
been located on an island somewhere (you'll have to excuse me, but I don't
have the original article in front of me).  I asked for the report,
preferably including quantity, breeding status, and other scientific data,
which they promptly didn't provide.  I suspect they either didn't have all
the details themselves (and were spouting off that 'it could happen'), or
were keeping it to themselves for ammunition.  In either case, I think its
wrong of them (and told them so).

Well, enough spouting is enough spouting. Time to get back to work.

-Brian McGovern