From:
Test Scoring 3 <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 5 Jun 2000 12:07:05 -0400
I just wanted to thank everyone who took the time to help me with getting
medication into Allie.

Unfortunately things are still pretty bad.  In addition to her insulinoma,
Allie has a grossly enlarged splein.  We're not exactly sure what is
causing it, but together with her old age and the insulinoma, it's
guaranteed to be bad news.  The vet and I are just doing all we can to
keep her blood-sugar up and to keep her comfortable.  She hasn't been
making it to the litterbox lately, which is very odd for her, because she's
the one (of three) that always makes it.  She's very weak.  My Allie-bean
seems to be dying, though we haven't given up hope yet.  She's past the
point of surgery being an option.  Her food, Hill's A/D, is being combined
with her meds and given to her through a syringe.  The vet says that if
she's not showing signs of improvement by Wednesday, it's time to consider
putting her down.

This is really hard.  I've had ferrets die on me before, but it has always
been quick - overnight or suddenly,as in a horrible dishwasher accident.
I've never had to watch as one of mine slowly becomes weaker and weaker...
For any of you who have never had to go through this, I pray that you never
will.  Remember, sometimes a quick death for an old ferret is much more
preferable than what I'm going through now.

Allie and her brother, Stimy, were rescues from a really bad situation.
When I got them, they were 1.1 and 1.3 lb, respectively, having been fed
Friskies and gotten no time to excercise/ play.  I take comfort in the fact
that she's had a good and loving home for the past two years.  I know that
I'm a much better mommy than her last home provided.  Atleast there's that.

We haven't given up quite yet, so keep us in your prayers.  And please,
everyone kiss your fuzzbutts and let them know how important and loved
they are.  Dooks to all!

Sincerely,
Allie (who would kiss all your noses if she could...),
Stimy (very worried about his sister),
Jerry ("Allie, come on....there's YOGURT in that dish!!!!"), and
Kim (the concerned and saddened mommy.)