From:
Chris Haas <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
The Ferret Mailing List (FML)
Date:
Mon, 11 Jan 1993 11:08:21 -0500
Hi all,

Since the new addition to my family, a wonderful male, I have decided
to post this bit of information that I discovered that may be helpful
to others when adding a new ferret to their family of ferrets.

This has worked when I went from 1 to 2 ferrets and again when I went
from 2 to 3 ferrets.  You may want to try it.

My ferrets run free around a room of my apartment during the day, and
at night I put them in a large cage while I am asleep.  When I add a
new member to my family, I let them get used to each other and make
sure there are no major fights, or personality conflicts.  After the
initial meetings and confrontations, they seem to fall into one of two
states:  1.  They like each other and kind of follow each other around,
or 2.  They simply ingnore each other.  I've found that this states can
either be mutual, or one sided.

Anyway, I have found that a good cure for the ignoring stage is to put
them in the same cage for the night to sleep together.  It seems that one
of the ways ferrets bond with each other is by sleeping together (you know
they like each other when you find them piled on top of one another
sleeping).  Now, I wouldn't do this if you are worried about them fighting
with each other.  This has always worked for me.

Good luck.

Chris.