From:
Milliesa <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 5 Feb 2010 18:47:49 -0600
It is amazing how quiet this information has been kept but had to do
with the court system here than anything else. By now Global has lost
the original case as well as their appeal. All week there have been
organizations going in and picking up their groups. Poor hedgehogs had
750 originally with a bunch PG, over 1500 hamsters were there when I
left, different breeds of them but they #'d over that. Frogs galore.
And, of course, you had to be registered with SPCA to get them and had
to sign contracts none of the animals would be released in the wild.

We got the 21 ferrets. Every report we had said they were vicious. BOY,
yes, they were but it didn't take that long for them to start settling
down. By that first evening, we were able to name them, do ID sheets,
cage cards, trim nails, fill out their permanent record sheets, and
give distemper shots........they have already been microchipped with a
German chip which we are attempting to run down information if this was
an American company the chips were sold to or if these ferrets come
from Germany.

Then yesterday, it was a revolving door here........ears were cleaned,
all were taken out 2 or 3 at a time..........and massaged and handled
and played with. There are still 4 that don't want to just bite your
hand, they want on the chest where they can rip your heart out. They
twist and squirm and you can't hold them down with a scruff as wild
as they are, have to cover them with a towel and wear welding gloves.
Wouldn't hurt to have safety glasses on too. Faces fascinate them

All are in wonderful shape - which they weren't when received by SPCA.
We donated Mazuri and that is what they were on from the time of the
seizure. Now they are fat, sassy with beautiful silky coats.....don't
know if it was the breeding or the food but they are all beautiful,
settling in nicely, and its so exciting to see them take all their
anger out of the crocheted Easter eggs, that first night I couldn't
sleep for the noise they made but no egg was damaged in this
experiment.

I HOPE I mailed by snail mail Thank You cards with pictures of the
Christmas gifts of beautiful eggs and home made sleep sacks. I wrote
the letters but at this age, I just can't remember putting a stamp on
the envelop much else mailing them. It so happens, these ferrets are
the ones getting the benefit of those gifts as they are segregated
across the house from the other ferrets. They will be going into the
vet Tues for ADV testing, vet exam and rabies shots.

This weekend there are more people than I can count coming to handle
them and it looks like it will be almost one on one. THANK GOODNESS we
have the people and resources here to help these darlings as everyone
is on board with this thing. THANK YOU to SOS who is going to support
the ADV testing. We have the people and the equipment to house and
care for these but we certainly could use some help with financing the
rabies and health exams. If you can donate a few dollars, it would
help us tremendously. We would like to see SOS reimbursed for their
expenditure too as they sure came through for us on the Rainbow Exotic
ferrets from 2 years back.

Our vet bill normally runs $1800 to $2000 EVERY month. That is with us
paying for most of the drugs separately plus the distemper vaccines,
and the microchipping. We have a huge # of older and adrenal ferrets
turned in where we feel honored for the foster homes who will give
them a second chance at life. For this we pay their medical up keep for
life. Even a small thing like these 21 costing for their shots can hurt
us big time. If you feel you can, you could make a payment direct to
our vet by calling 972 252 0800 - they can charge it on your card or go
to our website and either mail a check or use PayPal or even contact
SOS to help them finance this venture so they will be able to help
another such rescue.

If anyone would care to see a video of these kids learning to play or
pictures of some of them, write me direct at [log in to unmask]

Millie and The Texas Ferret Lovers Rescue
www.txferretrescue.org