From:
Scott Lehman <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 25 Apr 1998 15:54:01 -0400
Hi Ya'll from beautiful rain drenched NC

Before going ahead with this post, it requires a little background info.  In
the mid 80's, I was diagnosed with having allergies and asthma.  One of the
things to which I was most allergic was cats.  I had an inside cat that I
had had since the day of his birth and at that time he was 11yoa.  My doctor
informed me that I should either find another home for TIgger or move him
outside.  It was my life or the cat's.  I told my doctor that I had had Tig
since he was born and couldn't put him outside nor would I find a new home
for him.  I stated that when Tig went to "kitty heaven" then I wouldn't have
any more inside cats.  True to my word, my cats are outside cats.

Last evening as I went outside the feed the cats and the dog, I thought that
I saw movement out of the corner of my eye as I was closing the door.  After
feeding the animals, I went back in the house to find a very fluffy,
terrified cat racing erratically thoughout the house followed closely by
Blue, our 8yoa rescue ferret who has insulinoma.  As they rounded the corner
into the bathroom, I joined in the chase.  As I reached the door, they came
racing through the doorway, ran down the hall and into the kitchen area.
I turned and ATTEMPTED to follow closely behind only to find that they had
once again turned and were now headed toward me.  I thought now is my chance
to grab the cat and place him back outside, NO WAY, they quickly by-passed
me and sped into the living room.  The cat was attempting to jump up on book
cases, tables or anything else he could manage.  The ferret was attempting
to show the cat who was the boss.  Me, I was always just about 3 feet short
of my goal, the cat!  As we raced throughout the house, I can remember
thinking, maybe I should wake Scott up and have him help me catch the cat.
The thought was quickly dismissed as I replaced it with "No, I can handle
this."  My fruitless efforts at catching the cat was brought to an end with
his hiding behind the entertainment system and my capturing Blue just as he
was heading behind the system.  I think I realized at that point that my
best bet of getting the cat back outside was not in catching him but in his
going back out the door.  I quickly began placing ferrets back in their
cages because I didn't want to chase a loose ferret all over the
neighborhood as I had already had a pretty good workout in the house!  After
making certain that all ferrets were accounted for, I opened the door, took
a broom and used the handle to bump against the wall and entertainment
system to try and frighten the already terrified cat from his hiding place.
The cat went racing toward the open door and slammed into a second cat that
was standing in the doorway trying to decide if she should gain entry into
the house, The momentum knocked her backwards and I quickly closed the door.
I went over to Blue's cage, took him out to make certain that he was ok and,
honestly, you could read from the expression on his face and his body
language that at that moment, he was top ferret, defender of the home and
that he had vanquished the invader.  Just another night in the Lehman
household.

Our sincerest thoughts and condolences go out to those who have lost a
little one recently.  Please visit our tribute page at
http://exclusivelyferrets.com/tribute.htm.
It may take a while to load, but if working correctly, you will hear
"Amazing Grace" on the bagpipes.

For the ferrets, always
Margaret, Scott, and the 19 defenders of the homefront
Exclusively Ferrets

Ferrets, you gotta love 'em!.
I Love Ferrets