From:
Steve Austin <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 5 Jul 2001 13:44:56 -0400
><snip>
>- To avoid unnecessary calls I'll repost my requirements:
>- No children under the age of 12 in the house.  Absolute.
>- Adoption fee is $75.00
>- Potential adopters must have two references, one from their
>  veterinarian and one from someone who knows them very well.
>- Potential adopters must be knowledgeable about ferrets.  If they are
>  not, they must get a book and read up on ferrets and ferret keeping.
>- A contract has to be signed and they have to agree to bring the ferrets
>  back to the Critterpen if for any reason they can't have them.
>- They have to promise to give a donation to Animal Services of Thurston
>  County, to help them in their good work.

I just wonder when a shelter is so strict, do they adopt out often?  Do
they have a full shelter,or maybe in an area where ferrets are hard to
come by and few need sheltering?

I would think that someone would just say, forget it, let's go to the
store and buy one for $150.  Most stores don't ask questions.

The local humane society by me does the following, you file an application,
it is reviewed and it asks things about prior pets, what happened to them,
how they were kept, if you own or rent,etc.  They contact the vet and make
sure all my pets were spayed and neutered, and had health care.  They took
my money, and I had a kitten.  Can't people just lie and say they don't
have a vet, no other pets yet, no children and they own a home?

I know it is frustrating to have a shelter, and not wanting to adopt to
anyone who may be a complete jerk, but how can you really know?  If you
are good at reading people you may be able to tell on the interview, maybe
one home visit would be the best way to know, but that would be hard for
many to do.  A ferret quiz, they have to score 80% to adopt?  (just
kidding, but it might have possibilites)

Just curious about how shelters do it.  It has to be the hardest jobs
around..

Patty