From:
Chris Perth <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 14 Nov 2001 10:15:40 -0600
Hi everyone, hope all fuzzies and humans are doing alright, and the sick
ones getting better.  I just thought I d add what we do over here in case
it can be of help to anyone.

TREATS: Logan, Leeloo and Salma never get any sweets (they don t like
raisins) nor veggies, so even though sometimes they do take a tiny bite
of a soft pear, banana, or melon, what they get as a treat everyday is
just meat and bone!  Theres always Kibble there just in case they get
hungry, but which they usually just eat when I m not home, since they know
that at least once a day they get fresh meat.  At meat-time they have a
ball, do tricks, and all 3 next to each other only get the meat from my
fingers when I say each of their names.  It s real nice, I think
healthier, and they really love the meat above everything else!  I feel
sorry when I hear of fuzzies that just won t eat meat, probably for now
being introduced to meat and other stuff when they were younger and that
now only accept one sort of kibble... but you guys whose fuzzies are more
picky, have you tried the meat raw or cooked?  Here they eat mostly raw
but I do fry or boil it quickly sometimes, if I m afraid of some bug and
to give a little different taste.  Maybe if you fried it a little on olive
oil or if you cut the meat small and make it into BARF or just dip it into
something tasty, after they decide meat doesn t taste as bad as it smells
they might maybe start taking it pure, who knows!  Logan and Leeloo came
to me already big so there s some stuff they won t eat cause it just
doesnt smell like food to them, but stuff like a new vitamin paste that I
just smirred on their noses when they didnt wanna try it, after licking
and seeing its not so bad they start running for it!

Here they eat mostly chicken (sometimes other animals & shrimp too), they
love HEART the most, but also legs, chest, wings, other organs (Salma
doesn t care much for liver, only when I make into BARF).  Bones they get
as leg or wings and chicken backs whenever I can find it (I remove the
ribs since they look so sharp but they really love crunching the SPINE!).
I do try to be careful with the bones because even though I don t think
they would choke on it like a dog or person can, there s still some sharp
pieces of bone that might cut them inside (like it happened to Leeloo s
mouth once).  So the spine I give whole but from limb bones (which might
be sharp when broken) are the tips of the bones, cartilage and so on.
I d really like to try a mouse someday, if didn t freak my friends out.

I also give vitamin drops/paste and hair-ball preventive as treats
(especially after ear cleaning, nail clipping and even fur brushing).
Sometimes even giving them a piece of kibble seems to be cherished, like,
they re ignoring the kibble but when I give them one they eat it, so I
think it REALLY doesn t have to be something that WE think is super
special and tasty, it s more the act of getting something from us (ok,
the better it tastes the faster they come for more LOL).

Anyway, I tried posting about other stuff but it was too big, so I gotta
divide the post... Hope at least this was of some help!

Hugs and dooks to everyone!

Chris, Logan, Leeloo & Salma.

(o)_(o)
/-0 0-\