Reply To:
The Ferret Mailing List (FML)
Date:
Thu, 7 Jul 1994 13:47:57 -0400
I don't think I posted this, but forgive me if I did so.... I lost the FML for
a few days last week, and I am just now looking at the issues.  Anyway, I took
Fez to the vet for his chipped tooth last week, as soon as I could get in.  The
vet said that it wasn't currently infected or causing Fez pain (which I already
knew) and therefore the best thing to do was wait and see.  He said further
that ferret's teeth can produce a dentin which fills in holes - assuming the
tooth doesn't get infected immediately, it is rather unlikely to do so later on
(although it still requires checking), and a ferret can therefore have a
chipped tooth for years without it becoming a problem.  He said that if Fez had
lost a larger portion of his tooth (say, if the chip had taken half to 2/3 of
the tooth away) he'd pull it;  but that a small chip was unlikely to become
infected, and that pulling it as a preventative wasn't worth it.  He could have
scraped the tooth down and put on a gold cap, but he didn't think it would buy
us anything.  (But, can you imagine how funny it would be to see a ferret with
a gold fang?)

-Rochelle