From:
Weezilarchy&theChaosMenagerie <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 8 Nov 2002 16:07:10 -0800
cafepress recently made some service changes, one of which i take serious
issue with.  from their e-mail:

                              * * *

3) Finally, we need to clean house periodically and close abandoned
accounts.  If your account generates less than $25 in commissions for
any 180 day period, we reserved the right to close your account.  We
will notify you at least 30 days before closing your account, and if
you generate a sale, we will reactivate it for another 180 days.

                              * * *

I think this is abysmal, aws outlined below.  specifically of interest
to Ferret people, I think it may be detrimental to shelters who use
CafePress but do not generate a great deal of money from them.  as we
all know.  every dollar counts for the shelters, and if cafepress is
only making them $1 a month, that's still something.

I have written a letter which I just e-mailed to them and plan to snail
mail as well to get the point across.  PLEASE do the same!  one person
might be ignored, but pass this around, I'm more than willing to offer
my letter as a dummy.  I just want cafepress to pay attention.  here's
my letter:

To whom it may concern:

In regard to your new store policies -- I respect the need to close
inactive stores, however:

1. By requiring $25 in commissions per 180-day period, you are
effectively denying users who do not wish to make a profit the chance
to use your services, and unfairly rewarding those who set their prices
higher than others.  This strikes me as patently unfair, considering
CafePress makes the same amount of money from the products sold
regardless of the seller's commission.  I believe the minimum-amount-sold
requirement should be based on the base price, not the seller's
commission.

2. In shutting down an inactive account, could you make it possible for
the user to reactivate it at a later date, so that the name of the store
cannot be taken by another user if the store does not sell well enough,
but users can re-activate their stores under the same name and password
if and when they are able to devote more time and energy to them?  Of
course, a de-activated account would lose all its images and settings,
and a user wishing to re-activate his or her store would have to recreate
any products that the store contained.

Thank you for your attention to these concerns.

oh! cafepress's snail-address is:

CafePress.com
Customer Service Department
1933 Davis Street, Suite 204
San Leandro, CA 94577

they can also be telephoned at 1-877-809-1659 during business hours.

=====
       (  / \" /
        \(_  \(_   ferrets may nip, but people just suck.