From:
Fred Pullen <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 15 Nov 2001 22:09:07 -0700
I just re-subbed, after being gone a few years--tales of ferret woe got
to be too much.  I'm glad to be back, though, especially because I want
to prevent my own ferret-woe story.

Fresno, my six-year-old neutered male, has had a large spleen for a few
years.  Our vet at AllPets in Boulder, Colorado suggested just letting him
live with it "until the end." Until recently, this wasn't a major issue,
as it didn't seem to slow him down at all.

In the past few months, his spleen has gotten much larger, and now (today)
I noticed that it seems to limit his movement.  Fresno has otherwise been
healthy and active, so now is probably the time to do something, before he
suffers or becomes weaker.  It's time, in other words, to make a decision.
Since our vet has already said she's not comfortable doing a spleenectomy,
I have two questions:

First, to whom in Colorado should I go?  I took Nusa--my six-year-old
female--to Bock at Adobe in Boulder once, and he seemed competent.  I need
to find someone who does these kind of things all the time, not just one
or two per year.

Second, any general advice about a ferret in this condition?  Recovering
from surgery?  Anything to watch?

Please email me directly, to keep list traffic low.

Thank you very much,
--Fred Pullen