From:
Rick Roller <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 23 Jul 1998 10:41:44 -0600
What the hell is wrong with you people.  I thought we all agreed that the
best way to protect our ferrets is:
(1) learn about them
(2) Teach others the truth about our ferrets
(3) Band together to stop ferret exploitation
(4) Help each other since no one else will.

First, we all have some idea about our ferrets, or am I just assuming
(making an ass our of you and me).  Maybe I am old fashioned but I believe
if you have knowledge about something that others are trying to learn about,
then you should share your knowledge.  Whether or not that person uses you
teachings to benefit themselves it up to them, but atleast you have tried.

Second, Ferrets for toooooo long have received a horrible mis-informed
reputation that they do not deserve.  It is up to every FERRET owner to help
spread the positive truth about ferrets.  Yes, there is some negative stuff
about ferrets that we must also tell.  Like ferrets are not for everyone.
We must discourage flaky people from purchasing these animals on a cute
shoping rampage throught the local mall or pet store.  This will only
benefit the ferrets we all claim to love.  If someone out there is willing
to tell us about instances were they have witnessed abuse of ferrets or
other animals by pet stores, etc.  Then we should listen, whether or not you
want to believe it is up to you, but unless you have been there you should
not pass judgment whether this person is lieing or telling the truth.

Third, not all cities are the same, just like all states and counties are
not the same.  The same holds true to local stores and even local branches
of nationwide chain stores.  Just because your Petsmart, Petco, Humane
Society, Animal Control, etc is perfect where you are does not mean
somewhere else in this huge country those establishments are not anti-ferret
or exploiting them.  My humane society here in Salt Lake County kills
ferrets immediatly.  Very humane treatment for a lost ferret who is turned
into a so called "HUMANE" society.

Finally, we all should put aside are petty personal differences and do what
is right for our animals/pets.  Its our fault they are here, animals did not
choose to be pets, HUMANS DID.

I hope this offends and pisses some people off, because those who do get
offended by this are probably the ones who needed to read this the most.

Rick
United Ferret Organization (excluding Mass)