From:
Meredith Van Sickle <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 26 Mar 2006 10:03:21 -0500
I wanted to say thank you to everyone who posted about this...
My fiancee and I actually keep our ferrets in our bedroom with us.  Our
bedroom has no windows.  It does however, have florescent lighting.
while i was in college *in Missouri* I was diagnosed with SAD *seasonal
affective disorder*.  I was put on light therapy.  I had the option of
tanning beds *which scare me* or light box treatment.  The treatment
consisted of a florescent light which I was exposed to for 10-30 minute
sessions to supplement my daily exposure *which in Missouri, wasn't
much... at least not for me who grew up in Cuba, the Philippines and
Georgia*

My question is now this...
Will regular and long exposure to Florescent lights help with the issue
of Natural lighting in ferrets??

Oddly enough, SAD is linked to melatonin release in the brain and the
over production due to darkness...

food for thought...

i will in the meantime, make sure we take the babies to another room
with sunlight when we play with them.

Thanks everyone!
Meredith van sickle