From:
April Armstrong Campbell <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 16 Jul 2003 11:11:56 -0400
Okay, this is my last word on this issue:

>The subject line DID say Ma or Mass ferrets yet even though Mass is not
>a big state if the ferts are at one end and the prospective owner is at
>the other end and not willing to drive all that way then why bother?
>The question can be simply answered by Mid Mass area or Near Framingham,
>or better yet just the town.  After all, what is the big deal about
>naming the place they are?  It would certainly benefit any interested
>reader especially where for the most part only ferret interested people
>read this list.

First of all, as I live in MA, you're right, it's not such a big state
that it would be more than a few hours' drive, but if someone's in MA and
interested and "not willing to drive," then how badly do they really want
these animals?  It's one thing if they CAN'T drive, and I've accommodated
such folks in the past.  And many, many times on this and other lists,
transports have been arranged for long distances, even other states, so
I don't believe this issue of exact town location matters.  It WASN'T a
big deal naming the town-it just didn't happen to get mentioned in this
particular post, and I still don't think that's a big deal-the people who
have been interested in adopting them have gotten that information when
they've EMAILED me directly.

>E-mail is good and can be sent to either party so it gets there NOW but
>a phone gets the two parties in voice contact to answer all the questions
>at once...
>
>People on this list do not collect phone numbers for abuse or resell...
>Posting a phone number on the FML is not like posting to the New York
>Times, only a special interest group where only a few of them will be
>responding, a relatively safe thing to post.

Secondly, it's naive to think that only goodhearted, caring FMLers can
ever see this list; BIG does his best, but I think most people who have
been on here for awhile will attest to the fact that sometimes a few bad
apples get here and take advantage of us all; I think a good example
would be the person that has pretended to be Sukie in the past, and lots
of people on here have received hateful, flaming spam-I don't need that
on my voicemail.  Plus, someone other than an FMLer might still see the
list after someone else has downloaded the email digest, or may search
archives.  So though I have done so in the past, I have decided it's
not the best policy to post my personal, home phone number on the
international list that is the FML.  If interested parties can read the
emailed FML, they can email me to find out how to call me.

Plus, if I ever had a time-sensitive adoption case (i.e. ferret will be
put down if not taken in by such-and-such a date) I would probably at
least post with my clinic's number (I work at a vet clinic, but don't
generally want calls about this stuff there, 'cause I don't want to
tick my boss off) and I would more likely be calling my shelter operator
connections to at least get them somewhere temporarily first.

Again, standing by my FIRST post,

April AC