From:
"Benita G. Booker" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 26 Jan 2002 14:03:04 EST
Hello,

I had a somewhat concern like this about a year ago.  A petstore manager
bought her nephew a ferret (kit).  Just because she was a manager at the
time, does not mean she knows anything.  I had a lot of issues concerning
her and ferrets. ie. A six week old kit had coccidia and prolapsed rectum
so bad it cried out.  It was also given hard food.  That kit was in bad
shape.  She instructed me I could not take that one to the vet because
the week earlier Itook one and that the money would come out of her
pocket.  She left on a lunch break, I was not working that day.  I called
the district manager explained what I saw when I walk in the store.  I
didn't know how long themanager would be.  I had already made a vet
appointment.  I just didn't tell them.  He okayed it.  Before the manager
got back I had the kit in the vetgetting several sub Q's, meds, the kit
was in bad shape.  The vet didn't evencharge me.  I did not return the kit
to the store until her health wasbetter.  The day I took kit back.  She
put sick kits with older well ones.  Ihit the roof.  I called Marshalls it
wasn't long after she was fired.  So, you can imagine what type of person
I was dealing with.

She bought him this kit.  The very first night we got into it about what
the ferret needs and requires.  A week later the little boys sees me at
the grocery store runs towards me in tears and frantic.  The kit has
gotten to a sticky rodent trap the night before.  I had already given him
my home number to call at any time.  I am sure they told him not to tell
me.  HE pulled the sticky thing off ripping out the kits hair.  The kit
was in distress.  I aided him and the kit.  The kit made it through with
no problem.  There were other incidents that drove me crazy.  But, he was
ready to learn.  I noticed the kid always having the kit in a shoe box.
I asked him about it.  There was a 10 gallon tank involved that is all I
will say.  I had an extra cage at home but I had altered it so I gave that
to him along with a small pet carrier.  One day another incident occured
when the child was missing.  He left the ferret in the small pet carrier
for over 5 hours.  He was not allowed out in mommies shoe store because
he will poop and he smelled.  Ihappen to catch up with this young man and
I was not to polite at this moment with any of them.

I vowed the next incident would be their last.  This was the first 4
months of this kits life.  I came across a better cage from one of the
ferrets that I took in, so I gave him that cage and anything that I had
extra.  Hammocks, laxatone, shampoo anything extra.  Another thing that
bothered me was sometimes he did not have enough money for food or
something's that he needed.  I would give him the extra money.  His moms
shoe store was notmaking it.

Summertime came and he needed someone to keep the little guy for a week.
UMMM I say, if he is not healthy, he is not going back.  I worked myself
up because I hadn't seen him or had to assist any other incidents.  I just
knew he was going to be in bad shape.  I tussled with myself.  Low and
behold this big healthy ferret was put in my hands.  Oh boy, I thought he
has grown to be beautiful.  But mommie told me he still was a little lazy
in the cleaning department.  The deal between mommie and I was everything
had to be striped down and cleaned before he could get the ferret back.
He called me and said can I get Bandit back.  I asked him did he do what
he was supposed to knowing the deal that was made.  He said no.  I said
no.  A couple days later same thing.  No... Well, he got the point.

After two weeks, I noticed Bandit had gained a lot of weight being with
me.  When I took him back the boy looked at me like that's not my ferret,
he was not that big.  My guys have their own room with plenty of
everything.  He played and was so happy, he ate, and slept among the rest.
He gained weight.  I then found out he was not able to eat when he wanted
to.  I explained he always needed food available.  I also gave him books.
Sometimes would make him get the book and read it to me.

That is not the only cage and accessories I have given away.  Sometimes,
if I buy something and don't like it, I will give it away.  Everyone's
home is different the way they take care of animals is different.  If the
ferret is happy and she loves it, one way of doing this is to actually
show her.  If you have sometime don't just take stuff over and drop it
off.  Assist her.  Set it for her, while given some well needed
information.  Joke around when you tell her things she maybe more apt to
remember then to be told something.  Sometimes in this society people get
irritated so much that when they are home.  If someone tells them what
they should and should not do they really don't want to hear it.  Help
her.  It sounds to me, she just needs some guidance.  I have done some
goofy things and still do on occasion whenit is concerning my ferrets and
other small animals in the home.

I underestimated a sick little ferret (I mean little ferret), I was
keeping for someone.  She was out and about.  Usually, she tired out in a
couple of minutes, all she wanted to do was be held and never went over
around the bird cages.  I figured this little weak thing, no problem.
She couldn't even catch those guys because they are known for running the
kitchen.  Well, I got distracted by one my guys downstairs and went to
give him a kiss.  Next thing you know, I forgot about Miss Furbie
upstairs.  I went in and started playing with the guys.  The next thing I
heard was the birds fussing.Nothing unusual until my husband said you
better get up here.  He said Miss Furbie had Neeja in her mouth I'm
thinking Miss Furbie can't catch her shadow.  She could.  I saw some
feathers.  She did not hurt the bird.  Neeja fussed me out.  But,
sometimes, I make a mistake.  I don't underestimate the ability of any
ferret sick or not.  That may have been her learning mistake.

If she cares for animals and she has never owned a ferret she is in the
learning process.

You may find everything will work its way out or not.  Follow your heart.
You are the only one who actually knows this person and the conditions of
the ferret far more than what actual words can tell you.

Benita and the Critters