From:
Karen Trask <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 7 May 1996 17:30:49 -0400
Today I have experienced something most joyful.  My little rescue ferret
Chanel sought me out and fell asleep in my lap.  As I watched her tiny
little self drift off to sleep I thought back on when she first arrived in
our household.

She was found in a cage in a dumpster.  Her cage was small and filthy, her
fur was coarse and dirty.  Her waste stunk to high heaven (God knows what
she was fed).  She quickly established herself as the alpha ferret among the
other three as she was quick and mean in her dominance fights.  I was afraid
we might have to give her up as the fighting was so fierce at times.  Would
they never settle in or must we keep them separated always?

I remembered a story by Dick Bossart about a little ferret named Sam who
would not eat until he was just held and loved so we kept loving her.
Slowly as the months went by she started to settle in and actually
"play"with my other fuzzies.  When our ferret Bandit was injured recently
due to a fall from a window she spent three days sleeping with him and
staying close by in a very gentle way.  Could this really be my little "wild
child".

I am constantly amazed at the ferrets ability to overcome adversity and
become sweet and gentle creatures.  All it takes is a lot of love and
patience.  Today I was handsomely rewarded with the trust and love of my
toughest ferret whom I suspect is really my most fragile.

I remain in awe of these dear little creatures.  They have taught me so
much:)

Peace
Karen