From:
Larry & Debbie Whorley <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 11 May 2005 23:20:02 -0400
In case you didn't see this elsewhere, I copied this off the
ferretstuff4sale group.  Debbie Whorley Items containing onion or onion
spice or powder are harmful.  Onion can trigger autoimmune hemolytic
anemia, which is frequently fatal in ferrets.  Garlic, garlic juice and
garlic powder can cause renal failure, and one of the prepared duck soup
products contains garlic.  So, here is someone feeding their sick ferret
this product, hoping it will aid in the recovery, and all the while it
may be causing additional problems.  Products containing carrots and/or
dried fruit pieces can cause blockages.  Almost all of us know or have
heard of at least one ferret that has died or almost died from eating
these kinds of "treats".  And, as we learned from Dr. Kawasaki at the
Symposium, raisins can cause renal failure.  According to him, as few
as 7 or 8 raisins eaten at one time can be deadly.