From:
Sherry Unruh <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 18 Jan 1999 15:44:52 -0800
Hi all,

A week and a half ago I woke up to a sick ferret.  He had brown mucus poop.
So off to the vet we went.  Took a stool sample with me and found nothing
unusual in it.  The vet gave me amoxi just in case but also thought what he
had might be viral.  The next day I get up and another one of my ferrets
has thrown up but otherwise seems fine.  I have 6 ferrets and within a few
days all got diarrhea.  Started out brown water or mucus and then green
poop and then seedy poop.  All are drinking and eating but I'm afraid not
enough.  Two of the ferrets won't eat their regular food.  We have to mix
it with wet food.  We added sulfracate to the amoxi and stopped giving it
to them yesterday.  They had it for about 8 days.  I am stumped at what
this might be.  Is it ECE ?  Or could it still be bacterial.  Gonna take
another sample to the vet in the morning and check again for parasites.
Everyone is happy and running around like normal.  2 have vomited once.
Poop also seems to be inconsistant sometimes brown and seedy and sometimes
green.  I remember something about this but can't seem to find it.  I think
it was called mysterious illness.  Please help I need to know how to treat
this illness.  If you wan't to call me collect you can at 435-674-0263
otherwise please e-mail.

Sherry
Ferret Shelter of St. George