Date:
Thu, 29 Dec 2011 11:18:27 -0500
Its amazing how "advice" comes from all directions when you have a
ferret. Add to that a ferret that is compromised somehow and its even
more amazing how many self proclaimed experts there are that will be
all too willing to convince you what you should do with your ferret.

My first ferret, Josie, was deaf, but was exceptionally fast to learn
visual hand signals. Several more rescues over the years have brought
2 more deaf ferrets, both five (Crystal and Nakita). My oldest, Fizzle,
soon to turn 8, has been blind for the past few years. My handsome
golden boy, Roman, now 4 yrs, is blind.

I take all my ferrets out for excursions, change furniture around,
change feeding areas, bring new items into the house, go through
periods of clean and cluttered housekeeping. Change their living
arrangements from free roam to semi caged and not once have I seen
their blindness or deafness impede them from being full fledged
ferrets! Roman & Fizzle, zero in on my voice, finger snaps, clapping
and bell ringing. The deaf ones use a sixth sense that alerts them
I've moved to a different room and come trotting to investigate.

They all play, run, dance, climb furniture, dig, explore and wrestle
with enthusiasm. Fizzle & Roman still wrestle and play with other
ferrets, they just can't ambush them from a distance. If their chosen
playmate gets out of ear shot or whisker length they employ their nose
to search them out! Fizzle still gives Nakita a trouncing.

As a natural feeder my ferrets get whole live prey regularly, Fizzle &
Roman both easily dispatch their prey. Even if the mouse escapes
initial contact the ferret's nose, ears & whiskers soon locate the
escapee and dinner is dispatched quickly!

Ferrets have more than just facial whiskers, they have body whiskers
too: on their elbows, forearms, thighs, barrel and tail! All these
ultra sensitive hairs/ vibrissae act like feelers or antennae to let
the ferret know and explore their surroundings. That super smeller
of theirs is extraordinary. Their brains learn, memorize and adapt.
Ferrets seem impervious to nose bumps. Tumbles from furniture and
war dancing into solid objects doesn't slow them down a bit. Being
insatiably curious not only gets them into precarious situations, but
lets you know when its time give them wings. When they stop being
investigative, it's time to offer them one last grand adventure.

Fizzle's adrenal issues are showing up and it will be this disease
that determines her final day - NOT any detriment of sight!

Final day decisions are made for the benefit of the ferret. When their
quality of dignified, comfortable life deteriorates is when I ask the
vet to give them their wings. I firmly believe ferrets are self aware
critters, they know who they are and take pride in themselves so when
the day comes when they can't perform normal bodily functions, they
can't ambulate easily, or they show no play interest for several days
or refuse hand feedings - THAT is when they get their wings!

Cheers,
Kim
A bit of Pocket_Fuzz from my Windows Phone!