From:
Janice Underwood <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
The Ferret Mailing List (FML)
Date:
Mon, 28 Mar 1994 12:09:09 -0500
2 things :
1. Who is Phil Garrett? It looks like his message & my message got
        combined in the last issue.

2. Status of ferrets in NYS is unchanged. As soon as I read Chris's
message about problems,  I went over to EnCon Special Licenses and talked
to them in person. There are no laws under consideration for NYS to be-
come an FFZ, actually what IS under consideration is elimination of the
licensing requirement entirely. _However_, if you are trying to cross into
New York from Canada, they will not let you do so unless you already have
a NYS ferret license. The licensing laws include vacations. If you were to
only be passing through the state en route elsewhere, you still need a
license.
        The person I met with in the Special Licenses Unit is Julie Harjung.
She was very helpful and pleasant. She suggested that if people are con-
cerned, they can write to Special Licenses for written confirmation that
there is no change contemplated, and for those who wish to bring ferrets
in with them from Canada, write and request license application as well
as the written confirmation. The license is $10 and good for one year.

Address requests for written confirmation to:
        NYS Dept. of Environmental Conservation
        Special Licenses Unit
        50 Wolf Rd
        Albany, NY 12233-4752

ATTN : Patrick Martin
Apparently he is the head of the unit. As licenses are issued by this unit,
and not by DOH, unless any of you are personally aware of an effort by an
individual legislator to ban our beasts, I'd take EnCon's word for it.

If anyone wants to call this unit, the number is 518-457-0689.

Janice                          [log in to unmask]