From:
Todd Collins <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 6 Dec 1999 00:12:15 -0500
Hi FML and thank you BIG.  My name is Todd and I live in Upstate NY
(Rochester Area) with my lovely wife and one weasel named Mattie (you may
recall my "Attack Ferret" series last spring).  I have been on this list
for at least three years, lurking away learning all I could before I took
the plunge.

Mattie has grown into the sweetest gentlest ferret you could imagine.
She can be a little wild if kept in her condo all day, but a low gentle
"No Bite" keeps her teeth off my fingers.  I believe in a no tolerance
policy ... animal teeth do not touch human skin -- period.  A bit lofty
of a goal for a ferret, but I'm getting there.  At worst she "mouths" my
fingers, especially when she wants to get her way (like "put me down" ).  I
haven't had a real bite since she was a kit, and again, a gentle "No Bite"
converts the mouthing to licks.  Lick Lick Lick, unless she's really in
pursuit mode, in which case she she rolls around and gets all frustrated --
I think she wonders why I can't understand "ferret-nibble-speak".  I want
to finally get her to where she won't mouth or nibble at all so I can take
her more places.  Thanks to the FML for teaching me how to teach her, no
nose flicks, no negative reinforcement except "time out".  Just lotsa love
and patience.  I am still lurking away, occasionally wandering in to say Hi
and enjoying every moment of this list.

Todd