From:
Michele Liberty <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 30 Mar 2001 07:02:52 -0500
George wrote:

>Well after all that I just wanted to know if any of you good folks have
>ever had a fert return to your house after being gone outside a good 10
>hours?  I considered that it great compliment she came back.

My stink butt (I say this with the utmost love) escaped for 3 days!  I
was so upset and sad.  I had done all of the posters and phone calls, the
walking around the neighborhood with his shaky treat can and squeaky toy,
etc.  to no avail.  # days later, a neighbor knocks on my door and asks if
I have ferrets and wonders if one is missing.  It turns out that Slinky was
camping out in his yard...BTW, I live in Michigan also and it had been 20
degrees the whole time he was gone.  I called his name and he came running
up to me.  He was so excited his whole body was shaking.

So to answer your question, my fert could not find his way home even though
he was just across the street.  Why he didn't come to me the many times I
walked past the same house with his treats and squeaky toy, I don't know.

Side note...the neighbor man who came over to my house to report the ferret
in his driveway was obviously frightened of Slinky because he kept backing
up when Slinky was coming towards me, asking if "that thing" bites.  After
a discussion about ferrets and showing the man how loving Slinky was
(Slinky was showering my face with kisses) he reached out and petted him
and smiled and said, "What a handsome little thing he is!"

Michele