From:
Dick Bossart <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 4 Oct 2000 17:29:59 EDT
Tell me, has a ferret migration begun and no one bothered to let me know?

Yesterday, we received a call to come pick up a ferret from a family in
south central NH.  The man had parked his car, opened the car door and in
jumped a ferret.  I guess he was tired of walking and was looking for a
ride.  Well, we got him as far as Merrimack anyway, where he seems
perfectly content for the time being, but I'm sure he'd appreciate a good
permanent home with someone.

Then a few hours later we got a call from a woman who, last week, had
opened her back door to let in her dog.  The dog walked in followed by a
ferret.  The ferret, a female albino, proceeded to make herself at home
after checking out the entire house from bottom to top, and raiding the cat
food.  She said that the cat observed the ferret from a high place, while
the dog generally ignore it.  The rest of the family fell in love with the
little visitor, who gave kisses and loved to snuggle.  Although they were
hoping no one would claim her, a few days later one of the neighbors down
the street heard about their find and rushed to bring their wandering girl
home.  She did a great job of being a ferret ambassador, though.  Although
the family had never before considered having a ferret as a pet, they
coming over to our shelter this weekend to look at some of the ferrets
needing homes.  I think we can certainly help there, since we are quite
full.

The weather in New England is getting colder, so if there is a migration in
progress, I hope that all of the ferrets find a safe, warm place to stay.

Dick B
4 Li'l Paws Ferret Shelter