Date:
Thu, 10 Feb 2000 16:46:19 +1300
With regards to Aleutians, testing, shows and the like... I believe that
one of the requirements of bringing a ferret in to shows was to provide
proof that the ferrets being brought are up to date on their vaccinations.
Surely if there was a *requirement* for all ferrets brought to a show to
have proof that they are Aleutians free with a certificate, say, no more
than three months old - it would mean that eventually all ferrets who may
be the major 'risk factors' for spreading this will eventually be tested?

My idea of the 'ideal' would be for ALL ferrets to be tested, but surely
the most important initially are those who are brought to shows, and places
which may encourage the spread of this virus.  Anastasia had a good point
with her post, IMO - test every ferret before they come anywhere remotely
close to the others.

If proof of being negative within a reasonably short time-span is provided,
it will mean more tests being done, which will mean lower prices per test,
and more interest by researchers to find a cure, especially if the
percentages are as high as some believe - with as many as ten percent of
ferrets potentially being positive.

Just a thought, but surely worth a try?  After all, the ferrets welfare is
what we're interested in here, and possibly exposing a room-full of ferrets
to Aleutians because of a healthy-looking but untested animal is less
preferable to having recent proof that they're not Aleutians positive.

So far, very few people have even THOUGHT of testing, it just isn't thought
of, even by a majority of vets.  If there was a rule saying that the
entries and any attending ferrets need to be accompanied by a note from
United Vaccines saying "this ferret is Aleutians negative" surely word
would pass, even through the people not online.

Sam
Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful
committed people can change the world.
Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has.
Margaret Mead

If everyone got together ferrets would be treated fairly.
http://www.ferretfans.net