From:
Greeter 421 <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 21 Mar 2009 22:30:14 -0400
It was morning at the Rainbow Bridge, and Bridge Greeter No. 421 was
laying in his hammy, thinking about breakfast. He got up, wiggled his
toes into his slippers, and headed off to the stove to make his
oatmeal.

Today, he decided to have a few raisins in his oatmeal, and then
drizzle ferretone over the top. He tasted the cereal with his finger,
it was just right. He had just set the pan on the counter when there
was a knock on his door.

"Hey No. 421," Oliver called. "I has a ticket here from the Receiving
Angel, and we needs to go to the Bridge. We has a ferret coming over
and we has to find her sisters. Boy, whatcha cooking -- sure smells
gooooooood."

No. 421 invited Oliver in and asked him if he had breakfast.

"I was going to eat, but I got this ticket delivered by the Bluebird,"
Oliver said. "She was up early and thought she would save me a trip to
the gate. I guess the answer is no."

"Well, sit down," No. 421 said. "I always make extra, as you always
seem to drop by about the time I finish cooking it, and I do enjoy your
company here at breakfast."

The two ferrets read the list over again, Serrendippity and Morgani,
hhmmm, aren't they the two gals that keep to themselves over by the
Ferretone Falls? Don't they live in that cabin by the silver stream?"

Oliver was busy licking the honey off of his spoon, but he stopped a
minute and said, "I think so, but let me finish this bowl and I'll go
check. See you at the Bridge."

Oliver started off down the path, No. 421 piled the dishes in the sink,
and running his fingers through his hair, off he went in the direction
of the Bridge.

He arrived just in time. An albino girl ferret was leaning against the
bridge abutment. She looked very sad, and lonesome.

No. 421 looked at his ticket, this had to be the girl. Boy was she ever
a sweetheart. He brushed the oatmeal off of his chin and stood at the
end of the Bridge. "Do you need any help?" No. 421 asked.

The girl turned around and No. 421 gasped. She was a beauty, so sweet
and gentle. No. 421 ran across the Bridge.

"Here, let me help you over," No. 421 said. "I don't want you to be
afraid. Here at the Rainbow Bridge, we want everyone to be happy and we
do our best to make that happen. Let's see, this ticket says your name
is Angelica," No. 421 said. "My oh my, you are a beauty. I'm going to
make you my, er, personal responsibility to be sure you get settled in
and meet up with your sisters."

"Yes, my name is Angelica, and I was home living with my mom Sandi,"
Angelica said. "I went to sleep, and woke up here. If you have my
sisters here, then this is the Rainbow Bridge. This means I am not
going home again."

Angelica started to cry. Big silver tears rolled down her cheek and
dropped at her front feet. As she continued to cry, Forget-me-nots
sprung up where her tears touched the ground. Angelica looked down
in amazement, she stopped crying, and looking around to dry her tears,
she asked No. 421 if he had a hanky she could use.

Just then, Oliver came running up the path with Serrendippity and
Morgani in tow. Serrendippity stopped so fast that Morgani bumped into
her.

"Look whose here," Morgani said. "It is our sister Angelica. Hi Sis,
how are you? How's everything back home? Does our Momma Sandi still
have ferret kids? Let me look at you."

Angelica dried her eyes on her sleeve, and began to dook. The three
sisters all hugged and kissed and began to chatter at once. They hugged
and kissed again, and Serrendippity walked over to No. 421 and thanked
him for finding them and uniting the three sisters again.

"We still have one more at home with Momma Sandi," Serrendippity said.
"Could we send word back to Karintha Child and Momma Sandi that we are
all together and doing fine?"

Oliver slipped away to find the Shooting Star. He brought her back to
the Bridge. Serrendippity told the star that they had a big house and
would take good care of Angelica for Momma Sandi. They would build an
extra room so they could have Karintha Child live with them when it
was her turn. The four sisters would then wait for Momma Sandi.

Tucking the message safely under one point, Shooting Star left the
happy group and went on her way. She would deliver the message the
next time she shot across the sky. Oliver took the ticket back to the
Receiving Angel, and No. 421 decided to escort the girls' home.

The three ferrets began walking down the path to their home with No.
421 walking behind them. When they reached the Ferretone Falls,
Angelica ran to dip her feet in the silver stream. They were hot and
dusty from her trip. She was all cooled down when No. 421 lifted her
out so she would not get her feet dirty again and set her down on the
porch.

"Thank you so much for helping me find my way," Angelica said. "You
must stop in when I get settled and have some tea with us." Then she
reached up with her paws, and standing on her tiptoes, she brushed a
soft, sweet kiss on his cheek.

No. 421 blushed under his whiskers and turned to leave before the girls
saw him. All the way home he patted his cheek, and decided he would not
wash his face tonight.

He passed Oliver coming back from the gate, and the two friends decided
to spend the rest of the day, working to get their garden ready to
plant. No. 421's shift at the Bridge was over so the two friends went
home.

While Oliver drew glasses of cold water from the spring, No. 421 wrote
in his logbook, Mission completed signed and sealed with a kiss. Then,
patting his cheek once more, he picked up his hoe and water bottle and
set off down the path after Oliver to his garden.